The NY Yankees made some serious moves this offseason. NY signed LHP Andrew Miller and resigned 3B Chase Headley and 2B/SS Stephen Drew. The Yankees dealt RHP Shane Greene to the Diamondbacks for SS Didi Gregorius. IF Martin Prado and RHP David Phelps were shipped off to Miami in exchange for RHP Nathan Eovaldi and 1B/OF Garrett Jones. RHP David Carpenter was acquired from the Braves and LHP Justin Wilson was acquired from the Pirates for C Francisco Cervelli. NY resigned OF Chris Young and LHP Chris Capuano and lost RHP’s Brandon McCarthy, Hiroki Kudora and Shawn Kelly to free agency.
Capuano and Eovaldi should be beneficial to the starting rotation, considering NY lost 4 starting pitchers that had a combined 77 starts with a respectable 3.68 ERA collectively. I usually don’t put too much focus on a single relief pitcher, but if you haven’t heard of RHP Dellin Betances, you need to google him. The NY native posted a ridiculous 1.49 ERA and 135 strikeouts in 90 innings last year. Andrew Miller recorded 5.9 walks per 9 innings in his career, but if he can come close to last years numbers of 2.5 walks and 14.9 strikeouts per 9 innings this could potentially be the best setup/closer combo in the majors.
Half the lineup for the Yankees should be receiving AARP letters in the mail this season. C Brian McCann is 31 years old, 2B Stephen Drew is 31, 1B Mark Teixeira is 34, Jacoby Ellsbury is 31, DH Carlos Beltran is 37 and Alex Rodriguez is 39 sans the juice. Where the run support is going to come from is beyond me.
- Odds to win World Series: 33/1
- Odds to win AL pennant: 16/1
Nikko’s Prediction: 5th in AL East
It’s with great pleasure that I project the Yankees to finish dead last in their division. You either love them or you hate them and I’m happily on the latter side. NY has been outscored the last two seasons, but finished above .500 both years. This season is where things will change, and it’s highly probable that the Yankees snap there streak of finishing above .500 that has been running since 1992. With aging stars comes the concerns about injuries, and the combination of Sabathia, Tanaka and Pineda only pitched a combined 41 starts last year. Look for the Yankees and the Rays to battle for 4th place in the division.
- Baltimore Orioles vs Oakland Athletics MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/03/15
- Cleveland Indians vs Los Angeles Angels MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/03/15
- Seattle Mariners vs Colorado Rockies MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/03/15
- San Diego Padres vs Milwaukee Brewers MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/03/15
- Tampa Bay Rays vs Chicago White Sox MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/03/15
- Houston Astros vs Texas Rangers MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/03/15
- San Francisco Giants vs Atlanta Braves MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/03/15
- New York Mets vs Miami Marlins MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/03/15
- Chicago Cubs vs Pittsburgh Pirates MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/03/15
- Arizona Diamondbacks vs Washington Nationals MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/03/15
- Minnesota Twins vs Toronto Blue Jays MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/03/15
- Brandon Lee’s MLB Free Pick
- Chicago Cubs vs Milwaukee Brewers MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/02/15
- Los Angeles Angels vs Los Angeles Dodgers MLB Picks & Predictions for 08/02/15